UC CalFresh Nutrition Education Program
"My family has changed a lot about the way we eat, healthier and more economical. We spend less money on buying bad things. My children that are in your program like what they have been learning in their classes. I like the program because my children no longer like to eat things that are not healthy. Thanks for this program, it’s very good and helps our children."
-Parent at Healthy School Pantry
What We Do
Nutrition education services include:
- "No prep" curriculum kits for enrolled teachers
- Food demonstrations and cooking activities in the classroom
- Garden enhanced nutrition education & school garden sustainability support
- Physical activity lessons & training with CATCH P.E.
- School lunch partnership and promotion following Smarter Lunchrooms Movement concepts
- Positive youth development through 4-H Student Nutrition Advisory Councils
- Parent and community involvement and education including increasing food resource management skills
None of this work would be possible without our partners in school health including: Teachers, P.E. Specialists, UC Garden Nutrition Extenders, Principals & Administrators, Food Services, Maintenance and Operations Staff, the 4-H Youth Development Program, UC Master Gardeners, UC Master Food Preservers, Healthy School Pantry & THRIVE Santa Maria, Santa Barbara County Food Bank, GleanSLO, Farm Supply, Orchard Supply Hardware and our students and families.
The mission of SLOSB and the Youth, Families and Communities program is to cultivate environments where local youth, families, and community members have access to research-based resources and knowledge in order to be the creators of a healthy, inspired, active, & connected Central Coast.