Hero Image

Grants / Becas

CARCD Drought Relief Funding


CARCD is partnering with CDFA to administer drought relief funds, which will be reimbursements for expenses incurred because of the ongoing drought. Grant amounts will be $1,000 min and $20,000 max. 


  • Farmers must make at least $10,000 and no more than $400,000 in gross farm sales 
  • Agriculture must be the primary source of income for you and your family
  • 50% of funds will be awarded to socially disadvantaged farmers, immigrant farmers, and undocumented farmers. 
  • Producers may only receive CUSP funding every 12 months. CARCD will cross-check applicants with CDFA to ensure no repat funds are awarded inside of that time period. 

What's Covered: 

  • Production / Planting expenses 
  • Water costs increases, including water delivery 
  • Electricity cost increases 
  • Emergency upgrades to irrigation systems 
  • Well equipment installation & emergency upgrades 

What's Not Covered: 

  • Drilling a new well
  • Upgrading to a larger pump that will draw more water 

Click here to find more information and to apply: https://carcd.org/our-work/project/cusp/

ABIRC's CUSP Drought Relief Grant

ABIRC has received the Drought Relief Grants from the California Department of Food and Agriculture (CDFA), which will be a reimbursement grant for expenses incurred because of the drought.  

About the grant: 

  • Grant requests of $10,000 to 50 awardees
  • Covered expenses can include but are not limited to:
    • Increased electric utility bills of 50% or more due to increased electricity rates
    • Surface water costs if increase from year prior
    • Cost of hauling water for livestock
    • Lowering ag well pumps if a primary source of water is lost
    • Emergency upgrades to irrigation system (paired with conservation) if not covered through CDFA OEFI -programs or USDA programs and for other emergency scenarios.
  • Eligibility:
    • Family farmers who are actively working the land, derive a portion of their income from their own farm business, and are involved in day-to-day operations on the farm
    • Farmers whose operations make a minimum of $5,000 and a maximum of $200,000 in gross sales annually (If you are a new farmer, or have another limitation, and cannot claim at least $5K in farm-based income, please include in your application a rationale for consideration.)
    • Because of systems of historic oppression, the most vulnerable populations will bear the brunt of the impact of this crisis. For this reason, at least 50% of all grant funds will be awarded to farmers of color, immigrant farmers, and undocumented farmers.

Required Documents:
A) Form of Identification
B) Lease Agreement or Proof of Ownership of Land
C) Document(s) that are representative of any one or more of the examples of covered expenses

Go to ABIRC's website to apply or find more information

Carl Moyer / AB617 and Farmer Incentive Program

Now accepting applications for 2022 funding 

The Program

The APCD’s Carl Moyer / AB617 and FARMER Incentive Programs provides funding to help pay for projects that reduce heavy-duty diesel engine emissions prior to any regulatory requirement. Applicants may qualify for grants totaling up to $300,000 (applicants can only have $300,000 in active grants at one time- including historical active grants), subject to cost effectiveness limits and other requirements of the program.

Eligible project categories include: 

  • Agricultural Tractor Equipment Replacement Program (ERP)
  • Agricultural Equipment Repowers and Retrofits of off-road equipment such as irrigation engines, tractors, and mobile construction equipment
  • Electrification of Agricultural Engines

Examples of eligible costs: 

  • Electrification: When replacing stationary diesel engines, the costs of the electric motor and installation are eligible. Other equipment that is necessary for diesel to electric conversion, such as variable frequency drive, reduced voltage starting and certain peripheral equipment and infrastructure may be eligible for
    grant funding – call the APCD.
  • Repowers: Cost of parts, installation, shipping and taxes for new engines are eligible. Parts such as power takeoffs, exhaust converters and adapter plates required to mate the project engine with a drive train or equipment, or which are integral with the funded engine may also be eligible.
  • Replacements: Costs of purchasing new off-road equipment to replace older, higher-polluting equipment, which will be junked.
  • Retrofits: Costs to purchase and install a VDECS on an existing or replacement engine are eligible.

To Apply

Application forms are available for download from the APCD website, SLO County Clean Air Incentives page, which has additional APCD contact information. To have an application form mailed to you, contact the APCD at 805-781-5912. Completed applications with original signatures must be submitted to:

San Luis Obispo County Air Pollution Control District
Attn: Vince Kirkhuff
3433 Roberto Court
San Luis Obispo, CA 93401

For more information go to:  www.slocleanair.org/community/grants/agriculture.php

USDA Accepting Applications to Help Cover Costs of Organic, Transitioning Producers in CA
Now accepting applications from May 16, 2022 through October 31, 2022


Agricultural producers and handlers who are certified organic, along with producers and handlers who are transitioning to organic production, can now apply for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Organic and Transitional Education Certification Program (OTECP) and Organic Certification Cost Share Program (OCCSP), which help producers and handlers cover the cost of organic certification, along with other related expenses. Applications for OTECP and OCCSP are both due October 31, 2022.

How to Apply

To apply, producers and handlers should contact the Farm Service Agency (FSA) at their local USDA Service Center. As part of completing the OCCSP applications, producers and handlers will need to provide documentation of their organic certification and eligible expenses. Organic producers and handlers may also apply for OCCSP through participating State agencies.   

Additional details can be found on the OTECP and OCCSP webpages.

More Funding Opportunities

Application and technical assistance for the following funds is offered through our partner organizations or by contacting our Small Farms Program team.

Feel free to reach out to Maria Orozco (hablo español) via phone 805-781-5815 or email: mdlorozcoramirez@ucanr.edu if you have any questions.