Strawberry Kiwi Jam
National Center for Home Food Preservation
with powdered pectin
- 3 cups crushed strawberries
- 3 kiwi, peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced crystallized ginger
- 1 package powdered pectin
- 5 cups sugar
Yield: About 6 half-pint jars
Procedure: Wash canning jars and keep warm; prepare two-piece canning lids according to manufacturer's directions. Combine strawberries, kiwi, lemon juice, ginger and pectin in a large saucepot. Bring quickly to a boil, stirring frequently. Add sugar, stirring until dissolved. Return to a rolling boil. Boil hard 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam if necessary. Ladle hot jam into hot jars, leaving ¼ inch headspace. Wipe jar rims and adjust lids. Process in a Boiling Water Canner.
This document was adapted from "So Easy to Preserve", 5th ed. 2006. Bulletin 989, Cooperative Extension Service, The University of Georgia, Athens. Revised by Elizabeth L. Andress. Ph.D. and Judy A. Harrison, Ph.D., Extension Foods Specialists.
From Ball's Complete Book of Home Preserving
Preserving Method: Water Bath Canning
Makes about 3 (16 ounce) pints
This syrup will add a burst of strawberry flavor to your next batch of lemonade or margaritas.
YOU WILL NEED
- 8 cups strawberries (about 4 1-lb containers)
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 strip (2-inches) lemon peel
- 2-1/2 cup sugar
- 3-1/2 cup corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Ball® (16 oz) pint glass preserving jars with lids and bands
- PREPARE boiling water canner. Heat jars in simmering water until ready for use. Do not boil. Wash lids in warm soapy water and set bands aside.
- WASH, stem and crush strawberries. Combine strawberries, 1-1/2 cups water and lemon peel in medium saucepot. Simmer 5 minutes. Strain mixture through a damp jelly bag or several layers of cheesecloth.
- COMBINE sugar and 1-1/2 cups water in a medium saucepot. Bring to 260ºF (adjust for altitude). Add strawberry juice and corn syrup to sugar syrup. Boil 4 minutes. Stir in lemon juice.
- LADLE hot syrup into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rim. Center hot lid on jar. Apply band and adjust until fit is fingertip tight. Place jar in boiling water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
- PROCESS filled jars in a boiling water canner 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Remove jars and cool. Check lids for seal after 24 hours. Lid should not flex up and down when center is pressed.